Thursday, November 19, 2009

Burning the Midnight Oil

There are so many useful phrases that I think we should reincorporate into our language - or I think Cheri should write a song entitled, Burning the Midnight Oil. Wouldn't that be terrific?!?
There was a point to this post before I got distracted by old idioms.
Last night on my date, somewhere towards the beginning of the night, he asked me, "So Becky, what do you like to do?" Naturally I started to respond, but within 2 or 3 sentences (before I had even mentioned one thing that I like to do) I was distracted by something else and my mind hopped to another topic. About an hour later, after discussing various other topics, he said, "Wait, you never told me what you like to do." So, I again started down the path that would lead to that answer, but alas, again I got sidetracked and didn't answer the question. (Atleast we had good converstation even if it wasn't the answer to the question.) The 3rd time, about another hour later, the topic was brought up, and I made a concerted effort to answer the question, to which I succeeded.
I chuckled and explained to the poor bloke that that's how we communicate in my family. In order to answer one question or tell one story, we must discuss every other possible topic first - normally for a quite extended amount of time. I guess I am like my family after all.
P.S.
I love this cold time of year! I get to sip hot chocolate all the time. I even went to Starbucks for the first time and had the most delicious Peppermint Hot Chocolate with Cream. I highly recommend it!! I also recommend Village Inn or 7-11 or Stephens.
Hot Chocolate makes me happy!
So do scarfs and hats.
Rosy Cheeks.
The soon to be hung Christmas lights.
The already playing Christmas music (yes, that's right, I like it BEFORE Thanksgiving).
Singing the songs from Mickey's Christmas Carol or Alabama Christmas favorites.
etc.

1 comment:

  1. this little story made me laugh. it's so true. we get sidetracked in conversation easily. glad to see that you're like the rest of us afterall.
    how was the date?
    i must confess, for the first time EVER, I am tempted to put up all my christmas decorations this weekend since we'll be gone next weekend. i think you guys are wearing off on me.

    ReplyDelete