Monday, September 8, 2008

Getting Ready for Ecuador

This is why I'm going on this internship.
"A man out of work is of special moment to the Church because, deprived of his inheritance, he is on trial as Job was on trial - for his integrity. As days lengthen into weeks and months and even years of adversity, the hurt grows and he is sorely tempted to 'curse God and die.'
"Continued economic dependence breaks him; it humiliates him if he is strong and spoils him if he is weak. Sensitive and calloused, despondent or indifferent, rebellious or resigned - either way, he is threatened with spiritual ruin for the dole is an evil and idleness a curse.
"He soon becomes the seedbed of discontent, wrong thinking, alien beliefs. The Church cannot hope to save a man on Sunday if during the week if is a complacent witness to the crucifixion of his soul..." - Gordon B. Hinckley
I think that is such a powerful statement. People are suffering and they need help. They feel hopeless and I'm being empowered with the tools to help them temporally which will also bless them spiritually. Heavenly Father wants all of his children to prosper and be happy and he has given us the tools and the resources to do so. I hope that I can at least help a few people in Ecuador.
I'm so lucky to be able to do this internship through the Church - where I promote faith in Jesus Christ and teach people how much Heavenly Father loves them as I teach about their potential to work and find employment. The Gospel, when properly lived, will bless every aspect of life.
I'm here with a fun group this week and great teachers. Then, on Saturday Natausha (my comp.) and I head off to Ecuador.
We've been having a blast today - we like to think we're a group of injured kids and are thinking about starting a club. We have basketball games on our break - me one handed, another kid with one leg, Natausha without some fingers, haha, it's awesome!
I'll be updating this a lot more now. So keep in touch and keep me posted!

1 comment: